Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Good Luck Charm

I was at a conference Wednesday through Sunday. I returned home, laid in the bathtub, and contemplated a nap. RandBall arrived home at precisely this moment, gave me a quick peck, and ran to the TV. Oh. Game time.

I entered the living room and slumped onto the loveseat, and thought to myself, "Welcome home, Julie." Too tired to move, I stayed until halftime, when I decided to go to bed. We were winning (gasp!) and I was pretty sure the fate of the game was sealed.

Only later did RandBall share with me that the Vikings blew it, and lost badly. He then blamed it on me, because I left the room. His reasoning? I must be a good luck charm if a) the only full game I watched (the Sunday before) the Vikings won, and b) I was there for the first half- when the Vikings were in the lead. I've heard RandBall talk about good luck charms before. When it comes to sports, he's very superstitious. I've heard about games he's watched where he was convinced if he turned on the light, the team would lose. I'm not sure if he ever had lucky underwear that he wouldn't wash for fear his team would lose... but I wouldn't put it past him!

What if I really were the determining factor in the fate of the Vikings? Would I watch every game in hopes that they'd win? Hell no! I'd toy with the team... make them think they've finally got things together- then I'd go to the mall, and wait for their demise! I'd stop into the room as the team is behind by several touchdowns, watch as they are just about to kick their tying field goal, and on a whim, take off to get a pedicure. Mwah ha ha ha ha ha!

Picture courtesy of www.istockphoto.com

No comments: