Monday, October 15, 2007

Don't you have homework?


Yes, we often have something "better to do" or something more important to do than what we end up doing. Often we choose the easier thing, or the more enjoyable thing, or the short term pleasure over the thing that would, in the long run, help us out. Saturday, we had a gathering, and Sunday, we were sluggish. What can I say? I had homework, yes, I had errands to run, yes. There is always laundry to do, and eyebrows to groom, and nails to file and polish. Yes- even personal hygiene took a back seat to football this Sunday.

I'm am unabashedly an avid self-help book reader. I feel we are all "hopelessly flawed," (This is a quote from my favorite movie, Little Women) and everyone can benefit from a little self-help now and then. One book I have recently purchased is entitled, "The Joy Diet." Though it has nothing to do with food, this "diet" encourages folks to include a list of elements to their daily life in order to increase their enjoyment of their everyday life. One such menu item is "treats," defined as "anything that makes you smile." Well, I have found myself indulging in various treats this weekend. One such treat was seeing, "Jerry Springer, the Opera." I had the pleasure of attending when there were two ASL interpreters working. I have added an entire repertoire of ASL swear words to my ASL vocabulary (if you didn't know, I'm going to school to become an ASL/English interpreter... graduating in May! Horray!) I'm pretty sure I was the victim of a perma-smile throughout the entire performance.

Even if football doesn't make me smile, per se... I spent the afternoon with my husband, curled up on the couch with a sleepy pug, the above-mentioned husband serving me breakfast and coffee during the commercial breaks. Then, when glorifying (this time not the quarterback) Adrian Peterson after the game, I actually knew what he was talking about! I admit, I'm the type of person who does the Simpson's "ha ha" when I see a kicker miss a field goal, or a golfer just barely miss a three foot putt. But during Sunday's game, I was riveted as the kicker prepared to kick a career record field goal. Here's the kick.......... it's good!! I, like a true fan, grinned with satisfaction. Yes, it's good.

Picture courtesy of www.jupiterimages.com

1 comment:

roughkat said...

That's cool that you groom RandBall's eyebrows. Now that's love.