Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Blog Action Day (just one day late)

So, yesterday was Blog Action Day- a day where bloggers united to present topics related to saving the environment. Now, I'd like to share that RandBall and I recycle. Every couple of weeks, we've got about 4 or 5 grocery bags full of recyclables. This is a very important component for taking responsibility for your carbon footprint. This is the easiest, most accessible way to make a difference. Think about it; someone who you already pay to take away your garbage is willing to come to your house and take away your recyclables, that they may be used again to make future aluminum cans and newspapers. You don't even have to go anywhere. RandBall and I live in a condo, which is a four-plex. All the other owners are single women. None of the other owners recycle. They feel that since they live alone, their recyclable waste is too insignificant. This is not true. I'm appalled when I visit my family up north (for those non-Minnesotans reading, that means Northern Minnesota) and I'm informed that they cannot, for example, recycle cardboard in their area- or based upon where they live, recycling is not available. Those of us who live in a decent sized city have the most options when it comes to recycling. You can even recycle the cardboard core of your toilet paper roll. Please look into your recycling options in your area, and do the responsible thing- recycle!

Picture courtesy of: www.istockphoto.com

1 comment:

kermitjohnson said...

Don't feel bad about missing BAD by only one day.

I did not participate in Blog Action Day on the 15th either. I did, however, write a belated post about an environmental issue that is important to me. I see a lot of people using a product in luxury homes that is very destructive in a number of ways. It may also be contributing to the changes in the environment. Check out this post, please:

Brazilian Teak Floors, Slave Labor, and the Destruction of the Rainforest.

http://www.realestatetwincities.net/brazilian-hardwood-floors-can-you-say-slave-labor/

If this url was too long and got broken in the comment form, you can find it easily at:
http://www.realestatetwincities.net/blog/

Anything you can do to share this link or help promote awareness of this issue will be greatly appreciated. Normally, I don't ask for this kind of help, but the issue is that important to me. Most luxury home owners are unaware of the environmental and human cost of these products.

Thank you!