Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Training for the Maratahon Training Program


It all started innocently. I have been wondering for a while whether I could ever become a strong enough runner to actually complete a marathon. I grew up with asthma, wheezing and panting in gym class, barely running a 12 minute mile. Since discovering that my asthma symptoms are due to my allergies to every plant and animal under the sun, and not "exercise induced," I have become much more athletic. Never a runner per se, I'm willing to give it a try.

I approached RandBall with a statement, "If I ever run a marathon, I should probably do one before we decide to have kids." His prompt response was, "This is the perfect time to do a marathon." Hmmm... no pressure, I hope.

So, in lieu of procreating, we will be focusing the next several months on pounding the pavements of South Minneapolis: around Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun, along Minnehaha Creek, and maybe the occasional jaunt to Saint Paul. (Gasp! Across the river??)

First thing's first- the gear. I bought these fabulous compression running tights, pictured above. I was nervous that my "junk in the trunk" might cause undulating ripples, and despite the old adage 'spandex is a privilege not a right," I have bravely gone where no modest Swedish Lutheran has gone before: into the hotpants, and out the door.

For those truly interested in the wonder of these compression tights- they offer support for the joints, especially the knees, and help prevent injury. They're sized like nylons or tights--you go by height, not traditional clothing size. In my trepidation, I ordered a large, but a medium would have been the more appropriate length.

Last week we logged 30 miles! Six five-mile jogs around Lake Harriet.

This week, we plan to run the regular Lake Harriet run, and work in the circuit between Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun, approximately 7 miles at least once.

Stay tuned for more updates on the training progress.

4 comments:

roughkat said...

Congrats on starting out your training. Getting the right gear is not only a key element of training, but also really fun if you're into that kind of thing. I suppose actually running helps too but you can't do that until you're properly dressed. Anyways, sounds like you guys are off to a great start so just keep that up all summer long and you'll be fine.

Miss Alanneous said...

Way to go, Julie! I am so proud.

*sniff*

Definitely cross the river to my side of the running world, St. Paul! I think getting comfortable with that final stretch down Summit Ave to the Capitol will really help you to metally prepare.

I just took a Chi Running workshop-you might like it too. It is supposed to help you run more efficiently and be less injury-prone. Let me know if you are interested.

Happy running!! :)

Unknown said...

Ah, if only my knees were better . . . I would be alongside you two at The Race. You go, girl: hit that pavement, treadmill, grass, cinders, whatever surface makes you happy, whatever gives you a meditative spin on your runs. Enjoy your running buzzes. Ah, yes, I remember it well. You should ask RandBall what it was like growing up with a fanatic runner for a dad. . . .

Mrs. Randball- Views From the Better Half said...

Thanks for the encouragement, folks! I'm glad RandBall is willing to run at my pace too.

Will be a trip to cross the finish line. I'm keeping that image in mind. :)