Monday, September 10, 2007

Thought of the day: "What's the big deal about football?"

Randball and I went to Longfellows for lunch yesterday and our waiter, in a bout of witty bantor, asked us for a "thought of the day." Mine was, "What's the big deal about football?" I was delighted by his gasp, as he seemed equally baffled as I. "I know! I came into work today and everyone was wearing purple, and gawking at the TV screens. Then I figured it out, it's football season!"

*sigh* Yes, it's football season. Now that we've purchased a (insert Freudian slip here)-sized TV, I've got hours of alone time, while the man and dog enjoy bonding time on the couch.

I've just never understood the appeal of a game that is contantly on-again-off-again. Ten seconds of action, two minutes of dispute, ten seconds of action, two minutes of glorifying the quarterback.

As I told Randball one night when he admitted to playing (number removed for the protection of our beloved) hours on end of online Scrabble, I said, "You could be earning a graduate degree in the time you spend online!" I could apply this principle to the hours in front of the tube watching football.

Well, at least he's not alone.

"Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think two minutes of celebrating the quarterback is enough. I like a solid 7 minutes followed by a cigarette.